Date:      Sun, 27 Sep 1998 23:56:19 +0200
From:      Rasmus Kaj <kaj@interbizz.se>
To:        key@KSquared.Net
Cc:        kaj@interbizz.se
Subject:   Re: Broken Pipe on rsh to account using /bin/csh in v2.2.7

>>>>> "k" == key  <key@KSquared.Net> writes:

 k> [ ... ] I've got some machines with v2.2.7.  When I rsh to
 k> accounts on them that use /bin/csh I get no output and rsh exits with
 k> "Broken pipe".  I added some debugging to rshd on a v2.2.7 box and
 k> I can see that we appear to successfully call execl() with
 k> the shell and all the arguments look good.  If the login shell is
 k> anything other than csh (tested /usr/local/bin/tcsh, /bin/sh,
 k> /usr/local/bin/bash), rsh works.  And rlogin, etc works fine.

This is a shot in the dark, but do you have the file /etc/shells? I
don't know how and when the check for /etc/shells is done, but I
didn't find any mention of shells in man execl, so either this is not
the problem or that manpage should probably be updated ...

// Rasmus

--
kaj@cityonline.se --------------- Rasmus Kaj - http://www.e.kth.se/~kaj/
 \               CityOnLine IB Production AB - http://www.CityOnLine.se/