Date:      Sun, 07 Feb 1999 01:03:26 -0700
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        witr@rwwa.com, dcs@newsguy.com, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: more modular rc/init/uninit system...

Terry Lambert wrote:

> > > How do you propose to solve the Solaris binary compatability
> > > problem for commercial Solaris applications that install
> > > components into the rc.d directories in order to get them run
> > > at the correct time and in the correct order for dependent
> > > services requirements?
> >
> > By writing a port that will install the startup script in the
> > right place and modify it as necessary.  We really don't have
> > to implement the entire brain-dead mess of the SysV init system
> > just to start a simple (or even not so simple) application.
>
> You're in Utah.
>
> I bet Bob would let you borrow his IBCS2 Sybase for the AT&T
> StartServer so you could install it on FreeBSD and make a "port".

You're tangetizing again.  You asked what we would do to bash the
init.d script for a Solaris app to fitting within the new scheme
proposed, and I said "write a port that install the startup
script in the right place and modify it as necessary."  The original
question had nothing to do with supporting the actual app, but
rather the differences in the system startup scripts.

And besides, if I want to run a Sybase server on FreeBSD, I'll use
the Linux version, which is much more likely to run on FreeBSD.
I don't know about Sybase, but I will be testing both Informix
servers, Oracle 8i, and DB2 in the next few months.  And I'm certain
I'll be able to get the system to start the database at system
boot.