Date:      Sun, 21 Feb 1999 20:21:11 -0500
From:      Donn Miller <dmm125@bellatlantic.net>
Cc:        hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD && PS/2 MCA (Micro Channel)

I've recently acquired an IBM PS/2, which has a Micro Channel bus,
unfortunately.  It is a 486 DX4/100, so it doesn't have great speed, but
pretty decent for a secondary machine for hacking purposes.  I already
assume that FreeBSD doesn't support MCA and Linux does, but maybe
someone out there has gotten some NetBSD drivers to work with this
machine?  Some other questions:

Any ideas on how to network this machine to my "good" one?  I'd like to
mount remote NFS, or maybe just use it as an X-terminal.  I think my
options at this point are serial port networking.  That said, will
serial-port networking work right out of the box, or do I need a special
driver?  Can I mount remote NFS from a Linux to a FreeBSD machine?

I predict Netscape 4.5 won't run extremely fast on a DX4, but I think it
will run OK though.  I could boot it up with the install disk, but when
I get to the install screen, my cursor keys are all screwed up, and I
can't make any selections.

Oh yeah, and it has two SCSI drives attached to a special Micro Channel
Future Domain SCSI card.

Thanks

Donn