Date:      Mon, 21 Aug 2000 03:06:19 -0400
From:      "Allen Pulsifer" <pulsifer@mediaone.net>
To:        "Marc van Kempen" <marc@bowtie.nl>
Cc:        <freebsd-database@FreeBSD.ORG>, <freebsd-emulation@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Oracle8iR2 (v 8.1.6.1) under FreeBSD?

Roger.  Its encouraging to know it will run, once you get past the
installation.

The installer runs under Java.  I couldn't get it to run under the Linux
JRE.  I tried forcing it to load the FreeBSD port (by editing the JRE
path in oraparam.ini), and then I got it to run but it wouldn't install
anything.  It said there was a problem with the "staging area"(?)
(source files).  It did manage to create a file
$ORACLE_HOME/../oraInventory/install.platform that contained the
following:

  [Platform]

  ID=0

That makes me think maybe it didn't detect a valid OS and aborted.  What
does your install.platform file contain?  Any ideas on how to fool the
installer into continuing?

BTW, have you tried running any java inside the database to see if that
will work?

Allen