Date:      Sun, 30 Jul 2000 11:57:46 -0400
From:      peterg <pgatz@tiac.net>
To:        mobile@freebsd.org
Cc:        sean@stat.duke.edu
Subject:   duplicating lotsa laptops

Here's my problem;
I hav a 4.0-R laptop just the way it needs to be. Runs poifectly !!
It's a DELL. It's got a 1.4GB HD

Now I have 2 other DELLs, same machines but larger HDs, a 2.1GB and a 3.0GB
Now, I'd like to duplicate the 1st onto the other 2 laptops.
I have plenty of 3C589 type PCMCIA NICs.

Suggestions please as to the EASIEST way ??

dd ?? They're not the same size HD and I'd like to use the entire new HD space,
also the new drives are bare. w/ dd I'd have to @least load an OS and NFS mount'em ??
 right ??
or would I be able to get enough services going from the bootdisks??
Should I read up on making specialty boot disks ?? hmm ...

find | cpio ?? I've used this combo succesfully under Linux for just this
purpose to duplicate file systems from 1 disk to an NFS mounted 2nd disk
Then I'd run LILO to re-establish the boot area on the dupped disk.

I've read the mobile archives and Warner mentions "diskprep" for FBSD
Anyone know where to get this ??
How would this work ?? Would I have to remove the disks from the laptops and
somehow mount them into a desktop system for duplication??
The laptop 2.5" IDE drives are totally diffrent interface on the back than the
desktop IDE 3.5" drives we all use. Do they make adapters ??

Pls help get everyone here to FBSD 4.0-R nirvana ... :-)

--P