Date:      Sun, 23 Jul 2000 22:05:53 +1000
From:      "Doug Young" <dougy@gargoyle.apana.org.au>
To:        "leegold" <goldtech@worldpost.com>, <freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: new books, changing my pt. of view

If you are happy with NT you'll be ecstatic with 2000 ... at least
apart from its horrendous appetite for RAM. I agree with your point
on the documentation issue though. There's no shortage of intelligible
NT / 2000 stuff but apart from the handbook & Greg Lehey's publication
there's precious little else at newbie level for FreeBSD.

Apart from the docs,  I'm very impressed with the performance of the
bunch of CLI FreeBSD boxes I'm responsible for ... the things just
keep running with nary a problem. I can't say the same for FreeBSD
as a workstation though ...... all the window managers I've messed
around with are extremely poxy compared with the excellent Solaris
CDE. I did track down a site which offers what appears to be the
genuine CDE for FreeBSD but haven't had the time to look closely ....
for non commercial use its much easier to stick with Solaris and not
have to bother with linux apps .. if the commercial CDE is the "real
thing" though & linux apps like StarOffice / Oracle / etc function
properly I would think FreeBSD could well be a viable alternative
to Windows in many commercial situations.