Date:      Tue, 15 Aug 2000 14:51:24 +1000 (EST)
From:      =?iso-8859-1?q?Paul=20Jansen?= <vlaero@yahoo.com.au>
To:        small@freebsd.org
Subject:   PicoBSD: rc.firewall and PPP connections

Hello,

I have managed to get Picobsd going as a NAT machine
dialing my ISP using PPP.  I am using the 'dial'
version of Pico witht the 'ppp -alias' command to
provide NAT functionality.  I would now like to
protect the Pico machine using firewalling features
and also allow selective traffic into the private
network (192.168.0.x) behind the Pico NAT box.  What
is the best way to go about this?
I have had a look at the Pico 'networking' floppy.  It
seems that I should setup the firewall type in
etc.conf as 'client'.  The address translating
function on the Pico machine will need to handle
traffic coming from the internet into my private
network right?  Because of this I figured that since I
am using some sort of NAT I only need to setup Pico to
firewall itself and not the (non-routable) network
behind it.
I also noticed that rc.firewall needs the actual
interface and address of both the inside and outside
interfaces.  How to I specify this if I'm using dialup
PPP and an interface?
From the outside internet I want to be able to setup
an FTP connection to a machine behind the Pico NAT.
How should I go about it?  Will I need to run natd
instead of using the NAT functions in PPP?