Date:      Sun, 4 Nov 2001 11:46:35 +0000
From:      John <jfm@shell.reiteration.net>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: guide to downgrading from 5.0 to 4.4-STABLE

On Fri, Nov 02, 2001 at 06:35:40AM -0800, David Wolfskill wrote:

>Aye; feel free to holler if you find your machine wedged.  It can be
>Very Helpful to have another "fallback" machine for various reasons....

Hi

Well, after a couple of false starts, managed to downgrade successfully
and so far, everything (including X) seems to be functioning. I couldn't
do a binary install as the scsi cdrom, whilst detecting the root partition
on the cd, wouldnt boot from it, and I didn't have access to a floppy
drive or cable. I did have a spare atapi cdrom, but it wasn't a bootable
device. (What puzzles me is that the scsi cdrw and cdrom are well
supported and booting from scsi was enabled as primary in the bios, but
that's for another day).

Anyhow, removed /usr/src, /usr/doc and switched the cvsupfile tag from
. to 4.4, cvsupped everything down and followed the instructions in
UPDATING as if I was upgrading from 4.0 to 4.4, apart from initially doing
a make clean in /usr/src

make buildworld proceeded without a hitch as did make buildkernel and
installkernel. make installworld was toast because /modules didnt exsist,
made that dir and restarted installworld, it installed cleanly
(then mergemaster of course)

(yes it does help to have more than one freebsd box :)

fingers crossed he box seems to be working fine. I would expect some
programs not to work because of dependency failure, but havent seen that
yet

thanks for your help

--
John - jfm@reiteration.net