Date:      Sun, 9 Sep 2001 11:41:33 -0700
From:      "Kory Hamzeh" <kory@avatar.com>
To:        <freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org>
Subject:   EIDE Drive Errors - Please Help!

I have a relatively new IBM DTLA-307045 45G UDMA/100 Hard disk drive them
seems to be having a lot of bad sectors. This is the slave drive in the
system. The first drive is a IBM DTLA-307030 and it is the master. I'm using
the proper shielded cable and the blue connector is going to the motherboard
EIDe controller. The slave drive is connected to the middle connecter and
the master is conncted to the end connector. The motherboard is a ASUS CUSL2
with a 800MHZ P3 and 512MB of RAM. The system is running RELEASE-4.3.

This system was running NT 4.0 for several months without any problems,
although the slave drive was not used extensively. I have on partition,
ad1s1, which takes the entire drive. I used sysinstall to create the slices,
which I wanted to slices to match the master drive. So I did a disklabel -e,
and changed the slices to use ad1s1a, ad1s1e, and ad1s1f (that is all I
changed). I then did a "newfs -b 8192 -f 1024" on the three filesystem. That
all when fine. I mounted ad1s1f on /mnt can copied about 20 meg, just as a
test. I un-mounted it and ran fsck and start seeing a lot of hard read error
and "DMA problem -- using PIO" errors. When I do a "dd if=/dev/ad1s1
of=/dev/null" I get the same errors towards the end of the scan.

I'm not that familiar with IDE drive -- I've been using SCSI mostly until
now. Do I need to get a new drive? Is there a way to map out the bad sectors
on this drive?

I urgently need help -- I suppose to have did system up and running online
by Monday.

Thanks,
Kory