Date:      Sun, 29 Jul 2001 09:56:45 +0200
From:      Clemens Hermann <haribeau@gmx.de>
To:        FreeBSD security ML <freebsd-security@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   proxy recommendation

Hi,

to build an application Gateway I am looking for proxys for the
following services:

- http
- https
- smtp
- pop3 (if exists, pop3 via ssl)
- ftp
- dns

I have found some tools (especially tis which has only some of the
proxys I am looking for) but I am not sure which one to
take and would appreciate a hint a lot. The far most important issue is
security and not performance.
Second: There is one thing I do not understand: Commercial proxys offer
https/pop3 via ssl etc. How does this work together with the end to end
conection of ssl? How can the proxy be able to interfere these "secure"
connections? It does not have the ssl certificate and can not pretend to
be the ssl-server to the client application so - how is the proxying
done? can one do all the scanning on the proxy that you can do with
non-encryptet connection (e.g http compared to https)?

thanks for any hint

/ch

--
"Contrary to popular belief, Unix is user friendly.
It just happens to be selective about who it makes friends with."