Date:      Sun, 4 Mar 2001 19:52:26 +0100 (CET)
From:      =?iso-8859-1?Q?J=F6rgen_Pehrson?= <jp@spektr.eu.org>
To:        freebsd-small@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   How to create a boot floppy?

Hi,
I've been using PicoBSD as a router between my home LAN and my ISP for a
while now. But since I recently switched to ADSL I need to have a DHCP
client on the router among other stuff.

So I was thinking of making a bootable CDROM image instead since there's
not much room left on the floppy anymore.

I guess I will just make a mkisofs of the HD. But how should I create the
floppy boot image for it? I just want it to hold the kernel and boot
blocks. And then it should mount and use the CD image for the rest.
Under Linux the only thing would be needed is to cat the kernel to the
floppy since the kernel already contains all neccessary bootblocks. And
then maybe a rdev to set the root device on the floppy to the CD.

But how do I do this under FreeBSD?

I don't want to save any logfiles or anything like that so I guess I can
have the filesystem read-only?

(The reason I want to use a CD is to make it completely silent. No
spinning HD, no fan or anything. That's why the floppy solution was
perfect up until now.)

--
Jörgen Pehrson  jp@spektr.eu.org  http://spektr.eu.org/~jp/