Date:      Sun, 9 Jun 2002 00:27:25 -0700
From:      Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@xcllnt.net>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        Doug Barton <DougB@FreeBSD.ORG>, Mike Barcroft <mike@FreeBSD.ORG>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Standardized make options (or no doesn't always mean no)

On Sat, Jun 08, 2002 at 10:32:49PM -0700, Terry Lambert wrote:

> > Hysterical raisins. BLAH=anythingatall has always meant, "BLAH is true,"
> > (or more properly, BLAH is defined) regardless of the value. Your way
> > would make more sense, but that's a battle I'm not willing to fight.
>
> Since everyone appears to be in the mood to hack "Make" these days, it
> might be worthwhile to add a "-U<name>" option, jut like "cc" has?

I interpreted -U<name> as meaning the interface as preferred by user
"name", before I reached "ju(s)t like "cc" has". Since the latter is
only a comma away from the former, I think it's save to say that it's
a genuine signal. I've yet to decode the signal, though :-)

AFAICT, NOFOO has been the convention and it got polluted with NO_BAR.
I'm of the impression that it came from the ports collection, was this
the case?

Also, I believe in earlier discussions NO_BLA was in favor by most of
the people involved, but I can be wrong here (too).

I can't even remember if I was part of that discussion and what my
opinion was at that time, but this time it's that I prefer NOFOO.
Maybe because I had to type NO_WERROR so often, but more likely
because NOFOO fits the BSD paradigm so much better.

In any way: the inconsistency is worse than either naming scheme.
So I will see it as an improvement even if it's not my preferred
naming...