Date:      Sun, 30 Jun 2002 11:13:47 +0200
From:      "Peter Korsten" <peterk@maltanet.net>
To:        "Craig Rodrigues" <rodrigc@attbi.com>, <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Cc:        <freebsd-firewire@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Booting FreeBSD-CURRENT off of a Firewire disk?

From: "Craig Rodrigues" <rodrigc@attbi.com>

> I am interested in installing FreeBSD-CURRENT on this machine.
> The hard drive can be pre-installed with Windows XP, and I don't want
> to blow away that install, nor do I want to resize the partition.
>
> The computer comes with a "Texas Instruments OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host
Adapter".
> Would I be able to buy an external Firewire hard disk and install a
bootable
> FreeBSD partition on that disk?  What is the state of Firewire support
> under FreeBSD?
>
> [...]
>
> Would I be able to use these under FreeBSD?

If you can make a boot block for FreeBSD that has firewire support, you
might pull it off. I think it's the only scenario possible with the
restrictions (no resizing of the XP partition, etc.) that you describe.

Since a boot block is typically very small (512 bytes or so), this could be
a real challenge.

- Peter