Date:      Mon, 14 Oct 2002 11:25:07 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Francisco Reyes <lists@natserv.com>
To:        FreeBSD Hardware List <freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Compaq DL380 Raid setting for FreeBSD

What is the recommended Raid setting for a Compaq DL380?
I inheritted a machine which the Raid was setup for "Linux".
It is a 3 disk Raid 5 SCSI.

I notice sometimes the machine seems to stop for a second when I am doing
some work on the command line.

The machine does seem to be faster now than when Linux was installed
(based on time it takes to do some PostgreSQL work), but I am wondering if
having the Raid configured for Linux is not causing slowdowns.

FreeBSD is not listed as a possible setting on the Compaq Raid setup disk.

I can't understand why compaq would list OSs on it's Raid settings instead
of just having parameters one could use. Whatever adjustements they do
based on the OS selected should just be adjustable so the user can adjust
to whatever they need/want. Maybe they could just have "templates", but
ultimately let the user decide.