Date:      Sun, 3 Feb 2002 19:55:16 +0500
From:      "Haikal Saadh" <wyldephyre2@yahoo.com>
To:        "'Denny Jodeit'" <denny@jodeit.com>, <freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Book Suggestions for a newbie

*snip*
> > It's a great second book (after Ms. Anderson's excellent
> book).  Ms.
> > Anderson's doesn't go that deeply into Apache or Samba
> (both of which,
> > in my experience work fairly well out of the box) but is a great
> > reference

Wrt samba and apache, I've had mixed results, and I think I'll just
mention how my initial experiences were just for the record.

Apache didn't give me too much trouble for simple stuff, but for more
complicated stuff like cgi's and what not, do be prepared to read the
manual 4 or 5 times, check permissions, reconfigure and rinse repeat as
necessary. (tip: Do make a backup config copy of the config file)

As for samba, in my experience, most misery is caused by win9x clients.
I've not had any serious issues with NT clients, and the samba docco is
really extensive and included step by step trouble shooting instructions
should shit happen... :) Do be prepared to burn retina while reading
said extensive docco. (which lives in /usr/local/share/doc/samba, IIRC)

Go forth and conquer...

*snip*