Date:      Sun, 11 Aug 2002 03:18:54 -0400
From:      Joshua Lee <yid@softhome.net>
To:        "frank hagen" <teleport23r@hotmail.com>
Cc:        newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Modem Driver Question!

On Fri, 9 Aug 2002 15:53:59 -0400
"frank hagen" <teleport23r@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I am a FreeBSD newbie! I have searched around, but believe no specific
> FreeBSD (or general unix) driver exists for my USRobotics/3Com 56k Fax
> Win modem, which i use to connect to the internet (in Windows).

If it's indeed a "winmodem", you may have to purchase a internal non-win
modem. (One that includes controller hardware, unfortunately it's hard
to find a new afforable one - I got a USR Performance Pro which was
perhaps expensive and I had a hard time getting it's IRQ setup to
coexist with my second USB port controller on IRQ 9; this is not a
problem you would have with an older hardware modem BTW) or an external
modem. (Most external modems work fine, both serial port and USB port external modems are supported by recent versions of FreeBSD.)

> I would like to be able to use FreeBSD to access internet, but have no
> idea what solution there might be other than purchasing an older
> modem, for which drivers might exist.

It isn't the newness of the modem that's the problem, winmodems have
(unfortunately) been around for a while; it's the fact that it relies on
a driver that emulates in software what most drivers do in hardware.
Some Lucent chipset winmodems will (unreliably) work using Linux drivers
of which I vaguely recall there is a FreeBSD port; but you'll be better
off getting a real modem that has a controller built-in or uses your
serial ports' controller to do the heavy lifting. :-) Even under Windows
it's better to use a modem who's controller is in hardware.