Date:      Mon, 18 Mar 2002 20:06:55 -0500
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>, freebsd-ppc@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        cvs-committers@FreeBSD.ORG, Benno Rice <benno@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: send-pr categories & FreeBSD/powerpc or -ppc

At 1:20 AM +0100 3/19/02, Dag-Erling Smorgrav wrote:
>Garrett Rooney <rooneg@electricjellyfish.net> writes:
>  > the powerpc port has a mailing list
>  >            (freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org)
>
>Ah, I was looking for "freebsd-powerpc" since the
>platform is actually called powerpc.  I think it
>is a bad idea to use two different names for it;
>we should either rename the mailing list to
>freebsd-powerpc or rename sys/powerpc to sys/ppc.

I think des makes a good observation here, assuming
the port is currently called 'powerpc'.  It would
probably make sense to change the name of the mailing
list.  What do other people think?

(note that I'm copying this to the freebsd-ppc
mailing list... :-)

The following came in just when I was going to hit
the "send" button:

At 11:11 AM +1030 3/19/02, Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:
>On Tuesday, 19 March 2002 at 12:29:02 +1200, Benno Rice wrote:
>  > I'd prefer to change the mailing list name if anything.
>
>And I was going to say the opposite.  FWIW, it's called
>ppc in the Linux source tree.  And since IBM persists in
>calling some of the processors POWER, powerpc isn't that
>accurate either.

If "powerpc" isn't accurate, then how can "ppc" be?  :-)

However, to follow up, it seems that NetBSD has a few
different 'ppc' platforms, with 'macppc' looking like
it is the busiest.  OpenBSD also has a 'macppc' port.
I guess that brings up the question of how we see our
port.  Is it specific to "mac powerPC" machines?  Or
are we expecting the same port to work for other
powerPC/POWER machines?  (How about those POWER-4
machines that IBM talks about?  :-)

Either a powerpc name or some ppc name will be fine with
me, but it does make sense that the mailing-list name
should match the port-name.