Date:      Sun, 30 Jun 2002 08:49:09 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Bruce R. Montague" <brucem@mail.cruzio.com>
To:        freebsd-small@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        gehicks@gehicks.dyndns.org, iedowse@maths.tcd.ie
Subject:   re: [patch] use ld(1) to build kernel with linked-in md(4) filesys

Hi, Jerry, I think I may have lost some context
on your recent message, subject "[patch] use ld(1)
...  linked-in md(4) filesys", that starts "> The
patch seems to remove". Perhaps there was a leading
paragraph that didn't get pasted or somesuch.

* If I understand, you have a patch that involves
relinking the kernel image (effectively an image
copy with alterations, brought by the goodness of
ELF?).

* During this relink, the size of the md filesystem
in the image (is this a segment or section?) can
be changed.

* The relink can be controlled by a "picobsd" script
command, which will support new "relink" options...
or is another script intended? What is "it's" in
"Yes, it's intended to replace the MD_ROOT_SIZE"
option?

* During a relink, a compile/build cycle must be
done in conjunction with having the old image to
be relinked available (?). Additional control
files such as (/usr/locl/src/picobsd/conf) can
steer" the relink process.

* The kernel build makefile has been modified with
additional targets so that it can link what it's
got at the time (might not be all you need), and
also attempt to link to produce a final bootable
kernel.

* Basically, going in the direction of a kernel
binary linkage editor....

* The PR 40017 adds options to config so that
locations of the the source tree and config file
tree can be explicitly provided.

Is this basically right?

Sorry to seem so thick this morning, I'm asking
because this sounds like very interesting good
stuff that would make picobsd more tractable...
and I did enjoy relinking with IEWL...