Date:      26 Jan 2003 16:08:02 +0100
From:      Oliver Enzmann <oliver@cosec.org>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Crystal 4237B sound card on 5.0 Release

Hi,

I try to get a Crystal 4237B sound card working on an old Dell laptop
(Latitude CP M233XT) under FreeBSD 5.0. I understand that the pcm driver
should be all I need. However, I've tried with pcm built into the kernel
or as a module without any success.

Fiddling with device.hints (for pcm built into the kernel) or kenv (for
the pcm module) did not make a difference. This card is connected to the
ISA bus at, I believe, io=3D0x530, irq=3D5, drq=3D1. Pnpinfo does not show any
plug-n-pray devices but I am not sure whether this is a PNP card or not.

 - Do the hints in the kernel environment matter when a module loads?
   Does it make sense to set the appropriate hints using kenv?

 - What are the recommended steps to further debug this problem?

 - Is cvsup'ing /usr/src/sys worth a try (the kernel was built from the
   stock 5.0 Release source)?

 - Where is the pnpbios kernel configuration option gone in 5.0?

Note:

 - This laptop has no BIOS option to turn the PNP Bios off.=20

 - Turning off ACPI using 'hint.acpi.0.disabled=3D"1"' did not make a
   difference.

Any help is greatly appreciated, Oliver
--=20
    Oliver Enzmann - Datagram ninja and protector of the holy session
DSS Key: 0x5B5158C6 - RSA Key: 0x3FD52195 - Lat 47=B008.083N Long 7=B014.350E
 "Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana." - Lisa Grossman