Date:      Sun, 02 Feb 2003 11:42:54 +0100
From:      Martin Nilsson <martin@mullet.se>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        smp@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/sys/i386/i386 mp_machdep.c

John Baldwin wrote:
> Well, the pause instruction does seem to be helping considerably.  I'd
> like for people to test this patch on SMP machines running 4.x, not jus=
> Pentium 4's with HT but P3's, PPro's, etc. as well.
>=20
> http://www.FreeBSD.org/~jhb/patches/htt.patch
>=20

Hi,

I've applied the above patches to two boxes:

UP: P3 Celeron 1.3GHz Serverworks LE chipset (dual capable)
SMP: P3-S 1.26GHz Serverworks HE-SL chipset, 10Krpm SCSI, 1.5GB

So far, no problems found, I have built the world a couple of times and=20
on compile of the whole KDE 3.1 .
Make world time (-j8, src on NFS) of the SMP system
STABLE kernel 27:04
Kernel with pause 26:06
I can't explain the above diference, maybe I should rerun with local src =

to have a better controlled environment.

On the UP machine I have a wattmeter connected an there were no change=20
in power consumption when idle. (not expected either)

I'll hook up the dual to the wattmeter later today.

Anything else you need to test, sorry I don't have any HTT P4 machines=20
here right now.

		/Martin
--=20
Martin Nilsson, CTO & Founder, Mullet Scandinavia AB, Malm=F6, SWEDEN
E-mail: martin@mullet.se, Phone: +46-(0)708-606170