Date:      Sun, 10 Oct 2004 00:29:05 +0000
From:      "Mikhail P." <miha@ghuug.org>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Cc:        Dag-Erling =?iso-8859-1?q?Sm=F8rgrav?= <des@des.no>
Subject:   Re: ad0: FAILURE - WRITE_DMA

On Saturday 09 October 2004 20:53, Dag-Erling Sm=F8rgrav wrote:
> "Mikhail P." <miha@ghuug.org> writes:
> > Well, there is no pattern.  [...]
>
> Could be bad cables, could be bad drives.  Environmental factors are a
> more likely cause, though.  Are all the failing disks in the same
> machine?  If they're in separate machines, are those rack-mount, or
> are they standing on a table or shelf?  If a shelf, what kind?  What's
> the ambient temperature in the machine room?

Could be cables - I will get a replacement to verify that. I'm less sure it=
 is=20
drives. Yes, all 4 drives were in the same machine.
Machine is a regular 2U rackmount chassis (one CPU), with proper airflow. E=
ach=20
drive has its individual aluminum fan as well. Chassis sits in a 47U cabine=
t,=20
datacenter environment, with lots of free space around. So I'm quite sure i=
t=20
is not cooling/dust issues..
Well, unfortunately, I don't have access to hardware myself, so I can't do =
any=20
hardware related tasks. As said, I will get those two drives shipped to me,=
=20
and will then see myself if it is really hdd issue, or something else..

> DES

regards,
M.