Date:      Sun, 30 Jan 2005 14:02:30 -0600
From:      Kevin Kinsey <kdk@daleco.biz>
To:        Carmen Chase <sccl@ubbi.com>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: spanish language configurations & preferences

Carmen Chase wrote:

>Greetings and salutations from Argentina!
>
>We’re new to FreeBSD and would like to “HISPANIFY” our BSD system as much as
>possible. Though my English is fairly fluent, my husband’s is marginal.

That's OK, of course.

>For starters, replace the default American english manual (the one
>accessible from shells) with one that describes commands in a standard
>Spanish.
>
>2ndly, change system language preference to Spanish - ¿isn’t there a Env
>table or something in there that can be configured? Doesn’t KDE auto-select
>language based on some system preference table or something?
>
>3rdly, in as much as possible, change system prompts, messages etc… to
>standard Spanish - ¿has anyone bothered yet? If so, leads or instructions
>would be great.

Handbook Chapter 18 deals with some of the localization issues you
mention. It would be a place to start. Note that FreeBSD documentation
is available in Spanish under /usr/share/doc/es/.

As for the manual pages, I don't know if that's possible. Well, I mean,
it should be possible, but I don't know if translations of the manpages
already exist; and furthermore, I'm not aware whether or not a system
is in place to build the manpages in the alternate language.

It's possible someone with more knowledge on the Doc Team
(docs@freebsd.org) might have a better answer for you. Also,
have you looked for Spanish-speaking FBSD User Groups online?

>We understand that the kernel, shells, etc remain in standard American
>computerese, he he he… - no problem there.
>
>On a dare we put BSD on a AMD K-6 PC which we put together from parts. It’s
>been a successful experiment!

Great!

>Any thoughts, suggestions, leads, hints, instructions would be greatly
>appreciated.
>
>Attently,
>
>Carmen Chase
>
>P.D. I used to work on a UNIX terminal back in US many years ago.

That kinda cool ;-)

Kevin Kinsey