Date:      Mon, 16 May 2005 13:30:08 -0700
From:      Samuel Clements <sclements@linkline.com>
To:        darren david <darren@3x3x3.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SATA RAID 1 controllers for Intel board

darren david wrote:
> Sam-
>
> Thanks for your reply on this comment -- this is /exactly/ what i'm
> hoping to do, finally taking advantage of my onboard ICH5R-based RAID.
> However, my situation is that i've already got FreeBSD installed and
> running without having enabled the SATA RAID. If i enable it, do i run
> the risk of nuking my boot drive?

I'd say, most definably. Of course everyone's implementation of the RAID
BIOS is different, but if there is on disk configuration thats written
at the time of the RAID being enabled, I'd presume that'd hose you. Do
you know who's RAID format your board uses? Perhaps sos@ can comment as
he's much more familiar with the nuts and bolts as it were...

> Thanks in advance,
> darren
   -Sam