Date:      Sun, 14 May 2006 09:16:48 +0200
From:      Eduardo <nec556@retena.com>
To:        freebsd-small@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Embedded FreeBSD Presentation...

Sorry, i reply it directly to gnn, not to the list.

At 05:23 12/05/2006, you wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I gave the following short talk at the BSDCan DevSummit.  This is the
>first attempt at a list of things to do in getting us better
>represented in the embedded systems space.
>
>The slides are at:
>
>http://people.freebsd.org/~gnn/EFreeBSD.pdf
>
>Comments welcome.

Is this really possible:? Sorry for be a bit unoptimist, but in the
embeded space the o.s.must follow some rules that freebsd (nor linux,
*bsd, windows, etc..) can't:

- size: The o.s. must be minimal. Freebsd kernel, now, is a bit huge.
- realtime: The o.s. must do some tasks at fixed times, this tasks
can't wait for nothing.

The size one can be fixed, but the realtime not. It needs a new
scheleude, irq manager,...; so a great kernel rework.

Also, you forget the PowerPC chips. They are in a lot of embedded
devices and now freebsd has support for them (6.x).

Useful Acronymous : FAQ = Frequently 'Answered' Questions