Date:      Sun, 30 Dec 2007 10:41:30 -0500
From:      Justin Hibbits <jrh29@alumni.cwru.edu>
To:        sigmac-talc@acm.cwru.edu
Subject:   Half-dead G4

--nextPart1779968.7fjfSsNiRU

Hi folks,

Maybe someone could help me with this problem:  I recently purchased a 1.25=
GHz=20
PowerMac G4 on eBay, and it worked perfectly fine.  However, after loading=
=20
=46reeBSD on it, and running it for a couple weeks, it no longer boots. =20
HOWEVER, I can still hold down the mouse button and the CD ejects, so I'm=20
assuming it must be reaching some part of OpenFirmware, it just doesn't POS=
T=20
(I don't hear the chime).  I've tried ripping out a couple RAM sticks,=20
reseating the video card, resetting the PMU, and one time I did manage to g=
et=20
the chime, without the video card in there, but even pulling the card out=20
again I still don't get the chime now.  Is there any other test I can perfo=
rm=20
to narrow down the cause, and fix this problem?

Thanks,

Justin