Date:      Sun, 20 Sep 2009 10:31:18 -0400
From:      "Jacobs, Brian" <Brian.Jacobs@lodgenet.com>
To:        <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Large scale GRE

As promised, I'm dropping an on-list update of our GRE migration
project.  We're running just under 1,000 GRE interfaces (with ipsec
inside) with no problems on a dualproc/quadcore xeon 2.8 under 7.2-REL
(can't sup to anything later as someone broke the Compaq RAID driver).
We're only pushing about 15mb/s through the tunnels at peak, no drops or
errors that I've seen.  We do notice that ESP SA's for IKE tunnels don't
establish as expected (the farend network routes never "appear" like
they do in OpenBSD isakmpd, nor is the kernel grabbing the packets to
send down the IKE tunnel (though the OBSD/FBSD and farend configs are
identical), but I'm not done quadruple-checking to see if there's some
functional difference I've missed.  If anyone has any morsels of wisdom,
feel free to drop me a line.

=20

Cheers!

=20