Date:      Sun, 23 Jun 2013 09:08:25 -0700
From:      Kevin Oberman <rkoberman@gmail.com>
To:        Koop Mast <kwm@rainbow-runner.nl>
Cc:        "freebsd-gnome@FreeBSD.org" <freebsd-gnome@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Metacity fails after updates

On Mon, Jun 17, 2013 at 12:16 PM, Koop Mast <kwm@rainbow-runner.nl> wrote:

> On 14-6-2013 20:55, Kevin Oberman wrote:
>
>> I am no longer able to start Gnome on my desktop. I updated  lot of the
>> ports while I was working remotely for a few months. When I got back,
>> metacity failed to start. My apps start and look OK, but with no window
>> manager, it's pretty useless.
>>
>> When it tries to start, metacity sends out the following:
>> metacity:ERROR:ui/ui.c:752:**meta-_ui_get_default_icon: assertion failed:
>> (default_icon)
>> LibGTop-Server: pid 5978 received eof.
>>
>> This repeats every few seconds, ad infinitum.
>>
>> I have re-built metacity and all of its dependencies with no improvement
>> and i am baffled.
>>
>> I have a full Gnome installation running on FreeBSD 9.1-Stable (r249034).
>> All ports are up-to-date. Any ideas on where to look or what to kick? It
>> works fine on my other systems.
>>

> No clue about this, but the function in your quoted line suggests
> something involved icons? I currently don't have a gnome2 desktop setup to
> test.
>
> -Koop

This one is getting frustrating. Re-built and re-installed ALL ports and it
is still happening! Maade one BIG error, though. I allowed the portmaster
run to use available packages. Re-building 1100+ ports from source takes a
long time, but I guess I'll start. :-( Should be done is two or three days
if I do the really drastic step of deleting ALL ports, cleaning out
/usr/local, and starting from scratch.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
E-mail: rkoberman@gmail.com