Date:      Sun, 21 Feb 2016 18:30:11 +0100
From:      Trust No 1 <trust_no_1@libero.it>
To:        Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>, Bernt Hansson <bah@bananmonarki.se>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: thunderbird does not start if user is not member of "wheel" group

On Tue, 26 Jan 2016 08:21:28 +0100
Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de> wrote:

> CUT
> That looks like a permission problem, like if a file or directory
> needs to be accessed, but cannot - followed by a strange error
> message.
>
> CUT
>
> > By the way: on the same ws, firefox DOES start without problems for
> > both the two users, and in particular (for user2) it starts even if
> > I do NOT add it to the wheel group.
>
> Being member of the "wheel" group should _never_ be required in order
> to start a web browser or a MUA. :-)

Hello, and first of all my apologies for the long delay between you(r)
answer(s) and mine.
And thanks not only to you, but to Bernt Hansson too!

Anyway, during this time I have investigated a lot the problem and
discovered that, indeed, it was my fault! :-)
Some time ago, I "just changed" the root's default umask from 022 to
027 and I forgot to change it back to 022 before to re-install
thunderbird!

The result was a "faulty" installation,... I did not notice immediately
the problem because I am a member of the wheel group and (for my user
account) there were no problems!

So, I just replaced the "correct" umask value and re-installed
thunderbird,... all is OK now!

Thanks again to all you and kind regards!

Mauro.