Date:      Sun, 23 Dec 2018 00:58:44 +0100
From:      Per Hedeland <per@hedeland.org>
To:        Kevin Oberman <rkoberman@gmail.com>, "freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org" <emulation@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Instant crash starting VBox on 12.0-Stable

On 2018-12-22 19:19, Kevin Oberman wrote:

> Can anyone confirm running VirtualBox on head after 11.0-Release?

Apparently you meant to ask "after 12.0-RELEASE", though I'm not sure
about the "after" - anyway *on* 12.0-RELEASE, I'm running
virtualbox-ose-5.2.18_1 (from package) with
virtualbox-ose-kmod-5.2.22_1 (from port) without problems. Pretty
light usage though, a single VM running Linux, started "directly" with
"VirtualBox --startvm xxx" and only access via ssh. Starting the
"manager application" i.e. plain "VirtualBox", works fine too, though.

But, I'm not loading any vboxnet* modules (seems to be more than one
these days), only vboxdrv - and that via kld_list in rc.conf, i.e. I
have no vbox* variables set there. After fighting with the networking
setup (in more complex cases, that I don't currently use) with first
vmware and then qemu I decided to do as little as possible of that
with VirtualBox itself - only bridge to a tapN device, and do the rest
("actual" bridging/routing) with the standard FreeBSD functionality.

--Per Hedeland