Date:      Sun, 22 Mar 2020 11:38:31 +0100
From:      Stefan Ehmann <shoesoft@gmx.net>
To:        Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@leidinger.net>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HOWTO donate CPU to the fight against the Corona-virus

On Saturday, March 21, 2020 12:07:55 PM CET Alexander Leidinger wrote:
> Quoting Stefan Ehmann <shoesoft@gmx.net> (from Sat, 21 Mar 2020
>
> 11:38:26 +0100):
> > On Thursday, March 19, 2020 8:57:45 AM CET Alexander Leidinger via
> > freebsd-
> >
> > stable wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> if someone wants to donate some FreeBSD based CPU resources to the
> >> fight against the Corona-virus, here is a quick HOWTO in terms of
> >> installing the Folding@Home client on FreeBSD:
> >>
> >> https://www.leidinger.net/blog/2020/03/19/fighting-the-coronavirus-wi=
th-f
> >> ree bsd-foldinghome/
> >
> > Unfortunately, (using a CPU slot for the same work unit) TPF is 2-3 ti=
mes
> > slower than on Ubuntu for me. Much of the speed difference seems to
> > be related
> > to libOpenCL. If remove libOpenCL on Ubuntu, it's still 20-30% faster =
than
> > on FreeBSD.
>
> The pure CPU based code should be the same. Someone would have to
> trace / reverse engineer what is going on.

I'm pretty sure now that libOpenCL is only relevant for GPU slots.

I couldn't reproduce that the presence of libOpenCL.so has any effect on C=
PU
slots. Didn't make much sense anyway, something else must have been going =
on.
So there's probably no point in getting OpenCL to run on FreeBSD until we =
have
GPU rendering.

The numbers displayed by FAHControl are rather strange:
* There is no discernible difference in speed if 1 or all CPU cores are us=
ed
(but top shows that 600% CPU cycles are burned) - happens on both Ubuntu a=
nd
Linuxolator
* According to the progress bar, Ubuntu completes 1% per minute, but
Linuxolator only 0.1% (for the same work unit)

Don't know if the numbers displayed are bogus or there is really that much=
 of
a difference. Maybe the issue is only related to a specific WU or to AMD-C=
PUs.

I've also tried https://fahbench.github.io/ but it's mainly targeted at GP=
Us
and uses a different Core.