Date:      Sun, 12 Sep 2021 02:14:31 +0200
From:      Tomasz CEDRO <tomek@cedro.info>
To:        Brian Wood <woodbrian77@gmail.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: boot/shutdown times

On Sun, Sep 12, 2021 at 1:35 AM Brian Wood wrote:
> I haven't measured, but it seems like boot and shutdown times
> have improved over the years, but that they are still a lot slower
> than Linux.   Is there more that can be done to improve these
> times?   Thanks.

My FreeBSD box boots/shutdowns quickly. I would say way faster than
Linux (i.e. (L)Ubuntu or Kali). Since I started using ZFS root I never
even had to fsck.

I noticed that replacing HDD with SSD brings dramatic speed up to the
whole system even on older machines. M2 SSD are even faster (assuming
hardware has support for it).

I can also see a dramatic difference in boot/shutdown/work speed of
Lubuntu Linux when working on a machine using SSD (very fast), HDD
(standard), SD card (slow), and USB3.0 Pendrive (extremely slow like
20x slower than HDD). This also depends on kernel version and built in
configuration.

Linux uses initramfs. That may be the source of speed up? Maybe with
FreeBSD you could put its boot and/or base into ramfs I wonder how
would that speed things up? :-)