Date:      Sun, 14 Jan 2024 16:13:06 -0800
From:      Mark Millard <marklmi@yahoo.com>
To:        Tomoaki AOKI <junchoon@dec.sakura.ne.jp>
Cc:        Olivier Certner <olce@freebsd.org>, Current FreeBSD <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: noatime on ufs2

On Jan 14, 2024, at 14:27, Tomoaki AOKI <junchoon@dec.sakura.ne.jp> =
wrote:

> On Sun, 14 Jan 2024 10:53:34 -0800
> Mark Millard <marklmi@yahoo.com> wrote:
>=20
>> On Jan 14, 2024, at 08:39, Olivier Certner <olce@freebsd.org> wrote:
>>=20
>>> Hi Mark,
>>>=20
>>>=20
>>> With this mail, you're giving more detailed objections on the =
social/political aspects of the proposed changed, or as we usually say =
more simply, POLA.
>>>=20
>>> All your points are already largely weakened by the fact that, to =
wrap-up in a single sentence at the risk of being slightly caricatural =
(but then see my other mails), nobody really seems to care seriously =
about access times.
>>=20
>> I seriously care about having a lack of access times. Yet, I've no
>> objection to needing to be explicit about it in commands and
>> subroutine interfaces, given the long standing interfaces (defaults).
>> It would be different if I could not achieve the lack of access
>> times. That defaults do not block having the desired settings makes
>> the change optional, not technically required. The defaults are,
>> thus, primarily social/political aspects of interfaces, not
>> technical requirements to make things work.
>>=20
>> Given that, I explicitly claim that avoiding POLA at this late stage
>> is my preference for the priority of competing considerations. I
>> make no claim of knowing the majority view of the tradeoffs. I would
>> claim that, if the majority is not by just some marginal amount,
>> contradicting that majority view for this would not be appropriate.
>> (Again: the social/political aspects.)
>>=20
>> And, hopefully, this is my last contribution to this particular
>> bike shed.
>>=20
>> =3D=3D=3D
>> Mark Millard
>> marklmi at yahoo.com
>=20
> I would prefer violating POLA here, with, for example, forcing admins
> to choose explicitly with installer menu

I've not reported any objection to bsdinstall having explicit
choices required in its menus. Nor to changing how, say,
official snapshots are generated (so long as well notified
and documented). If my wording was unclear on that, I'm sorry.

My focus was on things like mount command notation and
/etc/fstab notation (that tracks mount defaults) or subroutine
interface equivalents of such things and changing their
behavior without requiring changing the notation already in
place in various files.

(I've tried to word the above without making new points,
avoiding contributing more to the bike shed material.)

>  Choose whether you need to retain last file access time or not:
>    1: Don't keep    (current default)
>    2: Keep last one (default before 15.0)
>=20
> by hand, or via installer configuration or additional scripts.
> Of course, existing installations should not be affected.
>=20

=3D=3D=3D
Mark Millard
marklmi at yahoo.com