Date:      Sun, 28 Sep 1997 15:25:11 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Tommy Hallgren <md6tommy@mdstud.chalmers.se>
To:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Handbook

Hello!

I'm writing some html-pages to help students use FreeBSD for pretty much
everything they do using Chalmers's Sun-machines. Right now I'm  writing a
quick PPP document to make it easier for people here at Chalmers to
connect to Chalmers from home. I'm using kernel-PPP and started to write
about adding the PPP pseudo-device when I realized that the handbook and
faq doesn't mention how one installs the kernel source by hand.

Not everyone choose "Kernel developer" when installing FreeBSD, especially
not a scared first-time user new to Unix and perhaps C as well.

May I suggest that we add:

  5.1. Why Build a Custom Kernel?

++5.2  Installing kernel sources

  5.3. Building and Installing a Custom Kernel

  5.4. The Configuration File

I've read through both the FAQ and handbook and not found more than "you
need to install the srcdist och kerndist".

(I'm not reading this list reguarly)
Mvh: Tommy Hallgren(md6tommt@mdstud.chalmers.se)
PS.
	The page is at www.mdstud.chalmers.se/~md6tommy