Date:      Sun, 20 Apr 1997 03:27:29 -0400
From:      "Kevin P. Neal" <kpneal@pobox.com>
To:        Alex Belits <abelits@phobos.illtel.denver.co.us>
Cc:        Vinay Bannai <vinay@agni.nuko.com>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Need a common passwd file among machines

At 11:05 PM 4/19/97 -0700, Alex Belits wrote:
>P.S. Is there any existing thing or at least an idea of making one that
>does this thing nicer? NIS is based on rather dumb idea that to
>authenticate local user one will want to go to some server and ask him
>instead of IMHO more sane approach of distributing authentication
>information from that server to always perform authentication locally and
>never depend on some host being accessible at the time of user's login.

This doesn't scale.

Well, not really.

At NCSU they use Hesiod+Kerberos to handle logins. This way they don't have
to keep I don't know how many hundred or thousand machines /etc/passwd files
current.

Also, they don't have passwords going on the wire in the clear -- the passwords
are handled in a safe manner by Kerberos. Along with this is the fact that
passwords are *never* stored on client machines -- a security bonus.

This is much saner than distributing /etc/passwd files everywhere, IMHO.
--
XCOMM Kevin P. Neal, Junior, Comp. Sci.     -   House of Retrocomputing
XCOMM  mailto:kpneal@pobox.com              -   http://www.pobox.com/~kpn/