Date:      Sun, 27 Apr 1997 06:54:57 -0500
From:      "Jeffrey J. Mountin" <sysop@mixcom.com>
To:        Matthew White <mtw@user1.channel1.com>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: kernel panics

At 06:16 AM 4/27/97 -0400, Matthew White wrote:
>I got this console message the other day.  Then a linux kernel panics and
>you get a message like this, you're supposed to mail it to Linus.  Is there
>a person in the FreeBSD development team that gets these messages?  Can
>anyone on the list tell me what this means?  Another box on our network did
>the same thing, until we replaced the overheating hard drive.  Would that
>cause these panics?
>
>The box is a P-166, 128MB RAM, 8GB (AHA-2940) disk, 2.1.6. It does NFS
>exporting to our web server, POP email, telnet sessions, and primary DNS.

>Fatal Trap 12
>Page fault while in kernel mode
>Fault virtual address = 0x0
>Fault code = supervisor write, page not present
>Instruction pointer: 0x8: 0xf017a65
>Code segment		= base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
>			= DPL, 0, pres 1, def32 1,  gran 1
>Processor eflags	= interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL = 0
>Current process 	= 95 nfsd
>Interrupt Mask	=
>Panic: page fault

This is similar to what I had with 2 different 2940U (just U not UW) cards
along with 2 mbs, blah... it just would not work and if it got past boot it
would give a "spurrious interrupt IRQ6" and reboot with 2.1.5 .6 .7 2.2.0
.1 and in case I missed something (or am missing something ;) I was watched
as I proceeded to swap just about everthing except the standoffs, screws,
and case.  In some cases I had at least 3 of certain parts.  Oh and then I
tried it without the card after clearing the settings on the ASUS, which
the other board could not do.

On top of that both cards wacked out a workstation here.

Not an answer, but a bad experience with the 2940U, but OTOH a 2940 works
perfect in a 2.1.7 and a 2940UW in a 2.2.1 server and they both worked for
2.1.5 and up without a hitch.

Jeff Mountin - System/Network Administrator
jeff@mixcom.net

MIX Communications
Serving the Internet since 1990