Date:      Sun, 2 Mar 1997 09:03:24 -0500
From:      Randall Hopper <rhh@ct.picker.com>
To:        Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
Cc:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Restarting CONTINUOUS/updating during CONTINUOUS

Amancio Hasty:
 |In order to change the geometry , you must first stop the capture process.
 |In the case of the SVIDEO extensions , you must:
 |1.  first stop the capture process,
 |2.  issue the new SVIDEO parameters
 |3.  reissue a geometry call

 |>                     ioctl( video, METEORSVIDEO, &meteor_video );
 |
 |	*THIS WILL NOT WORK*

 |>                     ioctl( video, METEORSVIDEO, &meteor_video );
 |>                     ioctl( video, METEORSETGEO, &geo );
 |
 |Now this is more like it 8)

     The driver does a nice job of modeling the device as a set of capture
parameters that you set up first, and then you initiate capture.

     To hide details associated with the ordering implicit in driver's
building of the RISC program, what about rebuilding the program from
scratch using the driver parameters each time a "parameter set" ioctl is
received.

     On that thread, which attributes can be set while capture is in
progress (i.e. during 1 frame, N frames, or continuous acquisitions), and
which required that the capture be stopped before they can be set?
(contrast, brightness, input, format, etc.)?  Browsing the driver, I see
any old CAP_MASK checks are commented out, except for those in the start
and stop capture flows (unless I missed something), but wanted to check
that what this implies is actually true in general.

Thanks,

Randall