Date:      Sun, 26 Oct 1997 14:16:01 +0000
From:      Anton Voronin <anton@urc.ac.ru>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Kernel's nfs dramatically slows down a diskless workstation

Hi,
this problem appeared in stable a time ago, I was waiting for 2.2.5 issue with
a hope it will be changed there, but it still exists.

I have pseudo-diskless workstations (only swap, /tmp, /var/tmp and 2M ibm-dos
partition for booting are on local disks; the rest is mounted from the server)
each has only 8M RAM.

When I compile and install a new kernel for one, it becomes very-very slow.
Systat -vmstat shows that amount of interrupts take up to 78% of time, and up
to 700 interrupts per second are produced by ed0 installed on IRQ10.

The kernel compiled on 2.2-release works x*10 times faster (at least it makes
me feel so). I tried to localize the changes between the modern stable and
2.2-release source code leading to this problem and found that if I take only
nfs.h, nfs_bio.c and nfs_vnopts.c from 2.2-release (located in /sys/nfs/) and
place them instead of the same -stable files, kernel after building works
pretty enough. Because of nfs.h and nfs_vnopts.h differ in only function
prototypes and calls, possibly the critical changes are located in nfs_bio.c.

Can it be fixed or returned to previous version?
Thanks,
Anton

--
Anton Voronin                | Ural Regional Center of FREEnet,
<anton@urc.ac.ru>            | Technical University of Chelyabinsk, Russia