Date:      Sun, 22 Mar 1998 13:13:09 -0500 (EST)
From:      Brandon Lockhart <brandon@engulf.com>
To:        freebsd-isdn@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   ISDN

I have an ISDN question, (go figure, I am writing this list), well, a few
of them.  I will be getting a dedicated ISDN line called "CENTREX" from my
ISP soon.  I am not sure if they are going to support compression, but I
would like to get a router that supports 4:1 anyway.  I have been looking
at the Ascend Pipeline 50 for awhile now.  But I am unsure about what I
can do with it.  I was reading on the Ascend site that the Pipeline 50
will disconnect, then once a connection is attempted, it would connect.
And it would only use one B channel until 2 where needed.  Is there a way
I can turn that option off?  So I am always connected and both channels
are always in use.  Since this is a dedicated connection, I won't be
getting billed for my time online, so I might as well have full capacity.

Also, do you recomend any other sort of router that I should look into?
So far I know I need a few things.  The router should be able to be
plugged directly into my HUB, it should bond both channels for me already,
without any special configuration.  If the config is easy, that is fine
too.  I would like one where I can filter TCP and ICMP packets, but that
is not necessary.  Also, I have a question about the way the router is
used.  Below are some drawings.
                                                   _____ Computer 1
====isdn line from phone company===<Router>--<Hub>'----- Computer 2
                                                  `----- Etc..

Is that how a normal configuration would go?  Say Computer 1 was FreeBSD,
and #2 was Windows NT.  I would have 16 IP's for 3 computers on this
particular example.  With the router, could I assign 1.1.1.2 though
1.1.1.14 to the FreeBSD machine, 1.1.1.15 to the windows NT machine,
1.1.1.16 to the other computer, then 1.1.1.1 to the router.  Would I make
the gateway for #1, #2, and #3 1.1.1.1?  What would the broadcast be?  If
I assigned those addresses to the FreeBSD machine for VHOSTS, would I have
to do anything to the router?  Below is an example I am curious about.

====isdn===<Router>==<Computer #1 (firewall)===<hub>--- Computer #2
						    `-- Computer #3
Then would I make 1.1.1.2 (#1) the gateway on #2 and #3, and on #1 make
the gateway 1.1.1.1?

Third and final true question, If I got a regular ISDN router, would I
need a TA?  Ok, 4th question, last, honestly, is all this trouble worth
it?