Date:      Sun, 09 May 1999 18:18:21 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Nicole Harrington <nicole@nmhtech.com>
To:        Cathy James <cjames@opensite.com>, freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: Motherboard comparisons

On 07-May-99 My Secret Spies Reported That Cathy James  wrote:
>=20
>>I just ordered 3 motherboards for testing with the AMD k-6III 400. I
>>think they were (PO's at work) TYAN, FIC, ASUS. Since it seems a lot
>>of people are curious, I will post my tests when I get done in abt a week=
.
>=20
>       Did you ever post this, Nicole, or is it still a work in progress?
>=20

 Hmm.. Poke poke...

 Well so far it is sort of work in progress.

 I found that Tyan does not have a 100Mhz buss ATX socket 7 MB, only AT. No
good.=20

 Asus works great, however with the particulat setup I had I kept getting s=
tuck
at the "waiting 15 secounds for SCSI devices." I had a bunch of LVD drives
hanging off of an adaptec 2940U2W card. I had the same problem with the FIC
board. Thus no tests for either.

 Gigabyte MB worked great with a K6/2-400 and the K6/3-400. The K6/3-400 is
worth the price. It is F A S T.  I plan on using that with the gigabyte MB =
for
my servers for a bunch of things. I didn't do any real bench marking as I
didn't have time (and they kicked me out of the lab to put in shelves) but =
found the K6/3-400 visably faster than the K6/2-400.

 I still have a Epox MB to test. Epox has in the past been ok, but at times
unstable. Thus I just decided to go with the Gigabyte Board. It has been ro=
ck
solid in all my tests.

 BTW, my application is for the new FreeBSD port of the Inktomi caching
software. Good stuff! I plan on talking about it at the next BAFUG meeting.
 (www.bafug.org)

 Hope this helps.

    Nicole

> Cathy James