Date:      Sun, 09 May 1999 06:40:55 +1000
From:      Greg Black <gjb@acm.org>
To:        "Greg Quinlan" <greg@qmpgmc.ac.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Strange reboot saga III

"Greg Quinlan" writes:

> From: "Greg Quinlan" <greg@qmpgmc.ac.uk>
> To: <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
> Subject: Re: Strange reboot saga III
> Date: Wed, 12 May 1999 11:31:11 +0100
> [...]

It may be the final two lines of the headers I've shown above
that explains it, but the Date header on that message is in the
future, although the very first Received header appears to have
the correct date.  This date in the future error has been very
common on posts from Greg Quinlan.  It would be a trivial thing
to fix it.

> Who wants a piece of my humble pie? I think I may have found my problem!

Please learn from this experience and recognise that the advice
that people were offering, in particular the suggestions that
you check your hardware, was indeed good advice and should have
been followed a little earlier rather than wasting so much of
people's time with the scare stories about FreeBSD.

> After the last reboot I opened it up while it was on... and to my horror the
> CPU fan was not running!!

Since this is an obvious candidate for the problems and since
it's extremely simple to check, it should have been found a
little earlier.

I do think this saga points to the advisability of putting a
warning about checking for hardware problems (including fans) in
some prominent place that might be easily seen by people who are
puzzled by unexplained system failures -- it is always the first
thing to check in this kind of case.

--
Greg Black <gjb@acm.org>