Date:      16 Apr 2000 13:39:42 +0200
From:      naddy@mips.rhein-neckar.de (Christian Weisgerber)
To:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/contrib/tcsh - Imported sources

Since I was the one to bring this discussion to -chat...

Doug Barton <Doug@gorean.org> wrote:

> 	Because that's what -arch is for. Big ticket decisions that affect the
> architecture of the base system.

Whether to replace csh with tcsh is hardly a big architectural
decision.

> [...] In any case, -chat is certainly NOT the place for this kind
> of discussion.

-arch is certainly not the place for religious wars. That thread
in its pointless entirety which included add-nauseum repetition of
arguments and clueless posturing (I'm thinking specifically of
Rodney here who could at least have checked tcsh's man page before
pontificating about incompatibilities) has devalued -arch to the
point where it's just another version of -current and -hackers.

> Both because -chat is highly optional, and therefore decision
> makers could easily miss it, and because -chat's charter specifies,
> "Non-technical items."

As far as I can tell, the decision already has been made. tcsh
*has* been imported into the base system, csh *has* been made
available as a port. Only the removal of csh from the base system
and the actual switch hasn't been performed yet. Also, my sentiment
why I don't like tcsh's inclusion, and which was echoed here, is
not a technical one.

Sue's comment was right on target. It's quite clear that David
O'Brien pushed for the inclusion of his personal favorite.

BTW, I'm unclear as to -arch's status. Is it moderated, committers
only, or generally open?

--
Christian "naddy" Weisgerber                  naddy@mips.rhein-neckar.de