Date:      Sun, 01 Oct 2000 10:43:57 GMT
From:      Salvo Bartolotta <bartequi@inwind.it>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, cjclark@alum.mit.edu, freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   The oirgins of FreeBSD (was Re: Unix 2000..).

On 10/1/00, 3:03:47 AM, Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com> wrote
regarding Re: Unix 2000...:

> > Four years... hmmm, correct me if I am wrong or partial: in four
> > years, the FreeBSD Project not only developed a whole operating
> > system, but also achieved technical excellence.

> FreeBSD started from 386BSD ~ June of 1994.

<discussion of the history of FreeBSD snipped>

Yes, FreeBSD was certainly NOT started in 1997 :-)

I was stressing the fact that, over a **span** of four years, the
FreeBSD Project achieved[1] technical excellence. Since nobody has
questioned that, I can safely assume it is fully true :-))

On the other hand, the FreeBSD Projects **sought** technical
excellence (for those four years); or rather, it **has been seeking**
technical excellence  -- since the start of the Project /* up to now
*/ :-)

[1] Past Tense "holistically" describing a "definite" past event, NOT
Present Perfect: ie no "up-to-now" implication.

One of the features of the English language I like most is the aspect
of the action. It somehow reminds me of ancient Greek. But that's
another story :-)