Date:      Sun, 15 Jul 2001 03:23:41 -0400
From:      Bob Johnson <bobj@ufl.edu>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Driver for D-Link DWL-650 card? [encryption now working]

Brett Glass wrote:

> At 01:23 PM 7/12/2001, Bob Johnson wrote:
>
> >I'm using a DWL-650, and it seems to work fine with the wi driver except
> >that it cannot do encryption.
>
> That's OK; I use a VPN for anything sensitive that goes over wireless.

[...]

I updated my system to -stable tonight (14 July) and encryption is now
working on the DWL-650 (40/64 bit encryption is: I haven't tested 128).
It's apparently been working for PRISM II cards since around July 4th,
but I just got around to updating my system to confirm that the '650
works.

Keep in mind that if you aren't using WEP, anyone with a null network
name in their NIC can probably connect to (and use) your AP if they
can get within range.  That is what my real worry is - I've been
turning off the AP when I wasn't using it.

See, for example, http://all.net/journal/netsec/0106.html and
http://www.tigertools.net/board/?topic=topic1&msg=202

- Bob