Date:      Sun, 26 Aug 2001 11:39:35 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Jimmy Olgeni <olgeni@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        <freebsd-qa@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   XFree86-4 & ISO

Hi!

I see that we have XFree-4 on the first ISO, both in single-package
and multi-package form: this adds much bloat to the already crowded
CD.

* The multiple package set is never needed as a dependency: we current
do not ship packages compiled for XFree4 because XFree4 is not
installed by default (and let's leave it this way: see xf86cfg)

* The monolithic package currently has some security fixes that the
multiple set lacks.

* If you really want to install XFree4, chances are that you want the
full working version, at the cost of having maybe some more fonts that
you won't need.

I think that the multiple package set may go away from the CD, freeing some
space to add some applications that people usually expect to find (like the
recently added rsync).

In my opinion, the set of applications on the first CD needs to be more
"formalized". We currently have a very small set of "granted" applications,
and the rest is more of a lottery. For example, the RC1 ISO only has very
very few gnome packages. Is the current packages script actually used in
ISO releases? :)

I made a new print-cdrom-packages.sh script which should take into account
some of the common libraries, applications, development tools and build
dependencies. Unfortunately, KDE and Gnome take so much space :(

Comments are welcome. I'm currently working on a package set for CD#3
(with larger stuff like TeX)

(script at http://people.freebsd.org/~olgeni/print-cdrom-packages.sh, about
415MB worth of packages)

--