Date:      Sun, 22 Dec 2002 10:43:31 +0100
From:      Szilveszter Adam <sziszi@bsd.hu>
To:        freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD's momentum and future prospects

Hello,

Well, since you asked for it...:-) Here is my take.

I think that FreeBSD 5.0, once it comes out, will be the most exciting
release of FreeBSD that there ever was. Rarely do we see so many new
features making their way into a new major version of the OS. I
furthermore think, that even when compared to the other BSDs, FreeBSD
5.0 is still in very good shape, although there are probably parts that
still could be usefully incorporated into it from other BSDs, or added
as an option to ports. (Some of the enhancements of pf over ipfilter
come to mind, but there are others)

In any event, I think that the old saying of "If you want functionality,
go to FreeBSD, if you want security, go to OpenBSD" no longer holds:
FreeBSD 5.0 will support almost everything in terms of security that
OpenBSD does, including kernel accelerated crypto, while at the same
time also offering functionality that the other OS does not.

When compared to Linux (ok, not all 2153446646457 distros out there,
just the major ones) there are items that stick out.

- As others have noted, there is no desktop-oriented version of FreeBSD,
  which is a shame, since even NetBSD tried to do something of that sort
  not long ago. (I do not know if it was successful) While many people
  on this list may think that FreeBSD is purely a server OS, I think
  that this is not necessarily true. Remember, people said the same
  about Linux, and now we see that a change is happening. It could
  happen to us, if only some missing pieces would be in place. Among
  these, one of the most important is a new, modular installer to
  replace the officially end-of-lifed sysinstall. This new installer
  will need to be able to offer a GUI interface, a console interface and
  a full-blown scripting interface, so that unattended installs become a
  reality since this is a requirement for commercial purposes.
  Unfortunately, libh is nowhere near ready, and this has been the case
  for years now. Also, and administration interface needs to develop,
  since what we have in sysinstall now, is a bit too much for
  installation needs but falls far short of what is needed for system
  administration. For example, you can create a new user, but you cannot
  create a new group. Ick. NetBSD (again) has embarked on this journey
  and have created sushi(8) to solve this need.

- As for drivers, Linux is getting into the position where OS/2 used to
  be, or the MacOS is now, that not every hardware, but more and more
  hardware comes with drivers from the manufacturer/vendor. These
  drivers often do not offer the full functionality of the hardware (see
  eg printer drivers) but at least exist. The Open Source community, how
  much it may want to do so, will not be able to keep up with the flood
  of hardware devices that appear every year and not even with those
  that people will want to really use. While both FreeBSD and Linux have
  reached the point where you can go out and buy most PC hardware and
  expect it to work, this does not hold true for many typically desktop
  oriented items (sound cards, printers, scanners, USB mass storage
  devices, Bluetooth etc) Also, localization support is still in
  its initial stages, since eg there is no way to localize the text
  strings that libc spits out, we do not have (yet) a framework like the
  GNU gettext library that would be in widespread use.

- As for the higher-end server arena, Linux was lucky since paid
  programmers took up projects to make it run on eg IBM or Sun hardware.
  Unfortunately, even NetBSD does not support the recent platforms yet,
  since (for some reason:-) nobody is willing to donate eg an IBM server
  freely to a developer. Also, eg the SMPng project still needs to fully
  produce its results. Linux is much further in SMP support now. And
  again, drivers are needed for special hardware devices in use at large
  installations.

- As for publicity, Linux clearly wins, since by now everybody has heard
  of it. But this can change rather quickly, if commercial sponsors come
  on board. Unfortunately, the big players are already taken (even
  though they only use Linux as their "entry-level" offering for those
  that want something cheap, and make sure that the transition is smooth
  from Linux on eg Sun hardware to Solaris on Sun hardware...

Of course, I still think that BSD developers need not hide from the
world when it comes to new creative ideas, for a good example on this,
see the GEOM project or the MAC framework on FreeBSD 5.0. But these
projects would not have happened were it not for the support of DARPA
and commercial sponsors, since this already work that simply cannot be
done at home, after the kids went to bed. So, while BSD still is a great
platform to use and develop, unless sponsors spring up and hardware
vendors start taking it seriously, it will never come out of its current
niche. OpenBSD is pretty much in the same situation, while NetBSD's hope
is the embedded market, where it already has such a sponsor. But only
time will tell.

Regards:
--
Szilveszter ADAM