Date:      Mon, 29 Mar 2004 10:33:23 -0800
From:      Sean Ellis <sellis@telus.net>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   tape backup from remote

Hello,

I have a very general question about backing up to tape from a remote
computer. The tape drive is unfamiliar territory for me, and I'm looking
for recommendations for a sequence of steps to take.

Both machines are running fbsd 4.*, the local machine is a recent 4.9 STABLE,
and the tape drive is a Conner CTD800R-S. Will it be possible, or
advisable, to use a utility to back up over the net directly to the
tape, or should we be creating a local mirror and backing up this?

I know that these are very basic questions, but I felt that posting here
in isp might give me a more informed response. Recommendations about
utilities or howtos to look into greatly appreciated,

--
thanks,

Sean