Date:      Sun, 18 Jul 2004 03:55:38 +0300
From:      Ron Ganzer <ganzman@ganzman.no-ip.org>
To:        krinklyfig@spymac.com
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re:

hi,

1. i totaly agree with joshua!!!
i used 5 linux distro's and the 3 unix's (just to broaden my distro span) and i fell in love with the daemon!!!!!!
freebsd is no linux but compat is quite nice
i would recommend you be smarter then i am and run stable (4.9) rather then latest (5.2)
4.9 will give you much more stability and a heck of a learning platform , while 5.2 is abit faster and with more hardware support but it still has issues and you wouldnt wanna get caught up in those.

2. if xfree goes out? ok.....unix(&linux) run a clean kernel to which any new standard will have to comply , so - no wories there!!
besides - there was once an os called ........HMM........microsomething and people manage without it aswell :)

3. as for job ......... freeBSD is a VERY popular server platform indeed , HOWEVER getting a job would depend on the country your in! im in israel and (jobwise) freeBSD is hard to come by!(hence my being unemployed at the moment :(   )
but there are numerous countries throughout the world in which it is HOT stuff (europe mainly - i think)

BTW are there any other israelis here? id like to build up a freeBSD community here!

hope that helps,

Ron Ganzer