Date:      Sat, 29 Oct 2005 21:47:22 -0500
From:      David Niergarth <jdnier@tds.net>
To:        freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Error mounting /dev/ad1s3

Hello,

I'm trying to install the FreeBSD-RC1 ISO image on a 400-MHz G4 (PCI
Graphics). I use FreeBSD i386 at work so I'm familiar with the
installation process.

I must be doing something dumb. Everything boots from CD fine, then the
installer starts up. I choose the standard install option. I configure
the partitions on my second drive, /dev/ad1 (it starts out as an HFS+
formatted disk). I select ad1s3, then choose "A" (auto) to lay out the
partitions, then exit back to the installer. I continue with the
installer until it tries to create the root partition. Here's the error
I'm getting:

   Error mounting /dev/ad1s3 on /mnt: Operation not permitted

Am I missing a step where the slices are set up? I get the same problem
when trying to install to an external Firewire drive (/dev/da0).

Any advice? Thanks,

--David