Date:      Sat, 01 Apr 2006 16:07:34 -0800
From:      "Jin Guojun [VFFS]" <j_guojun@lbl.gov>
To:        Carlos Silva <security@yourdot-mail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cups

Carlos Silva wrote:

> No, but i'll try this.
>
> I don't understand why lpr prints and cups not :(

It is not clear how you printed via lpr. Unless you have a postscript
(with .ps files) or plain text (for text only) printer, lpr will not print
correctly except printing some garbages.

If you used gs to convert .ps files to hp 1115 coded files, then you
may use "lpr" command to print. Is this the way you printed?
If so, the DeviceFILTER you used in gs option
    -sDEVICE=DeviceFILTER
indicates the printer driver you need to use for CUPS. If CUPS has
no related filter, then you need to write a filter/PDD file to invoke
gs to do the conversion job for CUPS to print.
It needs some work, but it is not too bad.

I have a MFC 420n printer, I could not find a filter in either gs
or CUPS, so I cannot use this printer under Unix/FreeBSD via
lpr or CUPS :-)

Since you said that you can print via lpr, then you should be able
to print via CUPS. Just need a more clear picture on how you printed
by using lpr.

    -Jin