Date:      Sun, 22 Oct 2006 06:25:37 GMT
From:      Nicholas<immortal_apparition@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   i386/104670: The screen irreversibly scrambles when X is initiated.

>Number:         104670
>Category:       i386
>Synopsis:       The screen irreversibly scrambles when X is initiated.
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
I have a toshiba Satellite, Intel Celeron M 1.6GH, 448MB RAM, ATI chipset (graphix, audio, and other stuff), and 40GB harddrive. I have FreeBSD 6.1 installed as a dual-boot with Windows XP Pro SP2. I have successfully installed the operating system and am able to use the command line. The problem is when I try to initiate the X server (kdm, xdm, Xorg, xinit, etc...) the screen goes blank as if to show the window manager, but when it comes back on it is all scrambled to the point where nothing can be seen except for a scrambled square in the middle of the screen which is the mouse. When I try to go back to the command line (ctrl+alt+backspace) the screen changes from the first scrambles and displays a whole new set of scrambles. The only way to see even the command line again is to reboot the entire machine. I used a certain command (can't remember) with Xorg to generate 'xorg.conf.new' in '/root'. I can see that there is an ATI driver being initiated with X. I have no idea wh
 at to do. I have very little experience with *nix based OS's.
>How-To-Repeat:
Type 'xinit' in the command line.